We are searching for an Organist/Accompanist who can skillfully and prayerfully lead and inspire our congregation’s worship. That person will be responsible for playing our Sunday morning liturgical worship service; working with worship planning team in the planning of worship services; accompanying anthems for the liturgical choir; and accompanying instrumentalists and soloists.
- Play liturgical worship service (or schedule substitute organist), currently at 9AM on Sunday morning.
- Play additional liturgical services each year. These usually include: two to three Christmas Eve services, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Holy Saturday, and two Easter Sunday Services.
- Select organ/piano repertoire for weekly service. This most often includes prelude, offertory, and postlude.
- Accompany Thursday evening liturgical choir rehearsals and when the choir sings in worship.
- Accompany soloists and instrumentalists as needed.
- Retain First Right of Refusal to play weddings and funerals.
- Arrange for maintenance of pianos and organs in Worship Center and Chapel.
- Provide weekly instrumental information to worship planning team for service bulletins.
- Assist in proofreading weekly and special service bulletins.
- Collaborate with the Director of Liturgical Worship in long-term planning and visioning.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- Proficiency in accompanying on organ and piano. Degree in organ preferred.
- Experience in worship service playing.
- Some knowledge of Lutheran worship and liturgy and respect for the Christian faith.
- Ability to play in a variety of musical styles.
About St. John’s Sweet Air:
St. John’s Lutheran Sweet Air’s mission is to “Welcome All, Tell The Story, and Grow As Disciples.” Our vision includes creating “dynamic and engaging” worship experiences with our congregation so that we can learn how to better love Jesus and love our community. We hope that you’ll check out our “I’m New” page on our website to learn more about us: https://stjohnssweetair.org/im-new/
Our liturgical worship service is anchored in the great hymns of the church while also seeking to celebrate the expansive musical language of the global church. We love our digital Rogers organ when it leads us in our liturgical music and robust four-part hymn singing. We also love exploring the sounds and musical languages that include black gospel, acapella singing traditions, Afro-Caribbean songs, and more…
- The salary is $14,500 per year
- Two Sundays of paid leave for continuing education
- First right of refusal for wedding and funerals on the St. John’s campus
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “organist application”.